Towns and villages
/
Castelsardo

Castelsardo

Castelsardo

 

In the north of Sardinia, in the middle of the Asinara Gulf, overlooks one of the most beautiful towns in Italy, Castelsardo. The choice of venue is due to its fortunate position, full of small coves, landings natural that served as harbors for trade with the Mediterranean. Dorias founded the fortress in 1102 with the name of Castel Genovese. In 1448, after a siege of more than ten years, will be conquered by the Aragonese changing its name to Castel Aragonese. Became a bishopric in 1502 and was built the Co-Cathedral of St. Anthony Abbot, in the old town center and overlooking the sea, with a bell made from an ancient tower, originally a lighthouse, covered with a tiled dome. Only in 1769 will take the current name of Castelsardo, by Carlo Emanuele III, thanks to the Treaty of London the town passed to Savoy family.

 

WHAT TO SEE

 

An important archaeological site is the Elephant Rock, a huge boulder not far from Castelsardo. The rock took over, following the erosion process, the appearance of an elephant and its interior were excavated two Domus de Janas of the Neolithic era, adorned with bulls’ heads. Near the village of Pedra Sciolta there is the Domus de Janas of Scala Coperta Numerous nuraghi disposed along the coast, One of the most significant is Nuraghe Paddaggiu, with the tower that preserves the tholos of the inner chamber.

In addition to the Cathedral, in the old town center, we find the Bishop’s Palace, residence of the bishop, and inside, the library with ancient editions; the medieval church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, very particular with the entrance on the right side and no facade, with a chapel that houses the Black Christ, considered miraculous against disasters; Torre di Frigiano, thirteen meters high, defensive outpost of the harbor, built by the Spanish in the mid-sixteenth century against the Saracens incursions.

 

On top of the bluff overlooking the creek, we find the Castle built in the twelfth century by Dorias. The structure and the walls are well preserved. You can walk the ancient path of medieval watchmen, from the terraces you can enjoy a breathtaking view and at the top of the castle, we have a view that goes from Asinara to Corsica, from St. Teresa to Limbara, from Gallura to Porto Torres. The prisons were used as exhibition halls and the interior of the fort houses the Museum of Mediterranean bind, dedicated to the Sardinian tradition with the exposure of the best local handicraft which is based mainly on the manufacturing of coral.

Many rock cliffs trachitica overlooking the sea, but there are beautiful coves such as Cala Ostina and Punta Tramontana. Beaches like la Marina and Lu Bagnu, that is placed under the rocky walls, with thin sand and small flat rocks. There is the possibility of conducting guided dives and snorkeling thanks to the diving center, rent rafts and services for charter boat trips.

 

The most important event is the ancient procession Lunissanti which takes place on the Monday after Palm Sunday. Event of international level, brings us to the Middle Ages along the streets of the old town in the dark, lit only by torches hung on the walls of houses and those brought by the brothers of the Brotherhood of the Holy Cross who guard the mysteries, the instruments of the Passion of Christ. Three choirs follow the procession and are being studied by musicologists. On August 15, we celebrate the Procession of Our Lady of the Sea fishermen.

 

During Holy Week, the significant “Easter Monday in Music”, with the participation of artists, jazz and pop, and the New Year in the square, which has become one of the most important events of the year-end in the island, thus offering to the tourist, who is staying in renowned hotels or elegant B&B, an additional entertainment.

 

High quality cuisine, thanks to farmhouses, restaurants, and local retailers will delight your palate with typical dishes of meat and fish, especially lobsters, sea urchins, seafood and Cassola di Castelsardo.

Read More