(Photo by sardegnaremix.com)
In the beautiful Cedrino valley lies Orosei, which gives its name to the famous coast of central-eastern Sardinia. The gulf stretches for about 20 kilometers with an alternation of splendid cliffs overlooking the sea and beautiful beaches from Bidderosa to Cala Goloritzè.
The small seaside hamlets of Sos Alinos, Cala Liberotto and Sas linnas Siccas also belong to Orosei.
The town of Roman origins stands on an earlier Nuragic settlement. During the Pisan period it gained importance thanks to the colony of merchants who managed the port efficiently. It became the main seat of the curia of the Giudicato of Gallura during which a castle, the tower of Sant'Antonio, the parish church of San Giacomo e Gavino and Sa Prejone Vezza were erected. It was acquired in 1449 by the Guiso family, who, moving into the center, began the building of beautiful stately mansions that can still be admired in the very interesting historic center.
Several times it was subject to raids and attacks. The last was in 1806 foiled by the legendary figure of Tomaso Mojolu who gave the alarm shouting "Death to the Saracens" while the villagers slept.