Italiano English

Nule


The small town of Nule is located about 700 meters above sea level, on a steep ridge, from which one can enjoy the splendid panorama overlooking the Goceano plain, with to the south a wide view of the Tirso valley from which the territory is bathed with its numerous tributaries and streams such as the "rio de sos campaneddos."

The area is completely made up of magmatic rocks. There are numerous springs, whose waters are valued for their quality and because they are considered healthy, such as "La fonte di Torosile" and "Sa funtana des'iscalas" . The greenest area is near Mount Tolida, formed mainly by Mediterranean scrub and myrtle plants.

Rising certainly in prehistoric times, in the Middle Ages it was elected villa of the curatorìa (administrative subdivision of the ancient Sardinian giudicati) of Mount Acuto. When the giudicato of belonging lapsed, it passed into the hands of the Doria family and, later, to the Arborea and then to the Aragonese. During the 18th century it was incorporated into the duchy of monte Acuto, and in the year 1839, following the abolition of feudalism, it was redeemed by the Tellez-Giron d'Alcantara.


THINGS TO SEE

The presence of man is attested since the Lower Paleolithic, thanks to the discovery of a flint amygdala (stone more or less vaguely resembling the shape of an almond, shaped with sharp edges). Evidence of the Neolithic period is due to the presence of dolmens: Santu Lesèi, Taspìle and Mialibèngo; betili, also at Santu Leseì, Isporo Sisine and Istelai Voes; while, to a lesser extent, menhirs: Terrasole and Istelai. Santu Leseì in particular is famous for the discovery of a Nuragic bronze statuette in the shape of an androcephalous bull, an anthropomorphic monster, half bull and half man, which can now be admired in the Archaeological Museum of Cagliari.

The presence of as many as 18 nuraghi places Nule in the area of high Nuragic density, including those of Ederosu, Murchidda and Boes, Voes which is a large three-lobed Nuraghe and Istelai also with a complex structure.

There are numerous churches: the parish church dedicated to Santa Maria Bambina, probably built in the year 1600, inspired by the Aragonese Gothic style and characterized by two bell towers, one modern and one ancient, the only one in the area with a circular section. Inside are works by one of the most distinguished artists of 19th-century Sardinian painting, Antonio Caboni. The Oratory of Santa Croce is one of the oldest churches in the town, dating apparently to the year 1500 as does the Church of the Assumption, also called di "Mesaustu." St. Peter's was built in the 17th century and is linked to a custom that has now disappeared: if a person was suspected of abigeato he had to swear an oath on a sacred stone called "su zuramentone," if he lied it seems he was instantly annihilated by lightning.

In the Hill of San Paolo, there once stood the red trachyte church of the same name, of which only a granite stoup remains, and the old cemetery, now deconsecrated, has been transformed into a well-equipped public park, which, being at 655 meters, is a splendid vantage point. Indeed, from the belvedere of San Paolo it is possible to admire the entire Goceano range and valley, the castle of Burgos, Benetutti and the villages of Sa Costera.

To the south of the hill you will find the church of St. John where until the last century the traditional ceremony of the comparatico took place: young men entrusted their friendship to the saint, binding themselves to each other as Compares and Comares de Santu Zuanne, calling each other by the title of lord from that time on.

As in most of Sardinia, St. Anthony the Abbot is celebrated on the evening of January 16, with the traditional bonfire in the square, while on June 13 Santu Antoni de su casu furriadu is held. In fact, among religious and folk rituals, the tasty stringy cheese accompanied by excellent local wines is offered for tasting. In fact, Nule is distinguished for its excellent production of pecorino cheese and tasty provolette (stringy cheese made from cow's milk).


The village is famous for the craftsmanship of fine, one-of-a-kind carpets. It represents the highest example of carpet craftsmanship in Goceano and along with Samugheo on the entire island. The color combinations and pattern weave since the earliest days have been handed down from mother to daughter. The rugs are woven on vertical, double-sided looms, and the special interweaving of warp and weft gives rise to a very dense fabric.

The designs come from the past : "sos coros furriados," "sos rosittos antigos," "su fruninzu," "sos bindighi annos" are sometimes renewed with modern lines : "castles and pomegranates," "garlands and flowers," "ballet." There are different types of rugs: traditional "flame", "modern", made with the same technique but with new designs, and "composite", created by combining the other two. In August there is precisely "The Nule Carpet Exhibition," during which tourists can witness the typical craftsmanship.

0 0 voti
Rating
Subscribe
Notificami
guest
0 Comments
Feedbacks
Guarda tutti i commenti

Do you want to join our portal?

Would you like to add your business listing on sardegnacountry.eu? Send us your request by clicking on the button below.

0
Mi piacerebbe conoscere il tuo parere, si prega di commentare.x